The city of Sharjah a stones throw away from Dubai city is the perfect place for exploring the mysterious of the Middle Eastern culture at a leisurely pace. The area was a thriving merchant hub is shortlisted as a potential UNESCO site is reborn as a vibrant heritage and arts district. Check out the museums housed in traditional barjeel (wind tower) buildings and explore the narrow alleys along the creek. Enjoy a coffee in the coffee houses supporting local artisans in their arts and crafts while bartering for souvenirs in the old-style souks.
The city’s waterfront, Khalid Lagoon, Al Noor Island all of which has undergone a huge redevelopment and is a lively hub of activity with water karts or relaxing water boats tours where you’ll sail around the lagoon and experience eye opening views of the sites and children can cool down at the splash park Adults can enjoy a romantic sail under the stars on a traditional “ Abra” dhow reminiscent of the past a perfect way to end the day.
Enjoy spectacular views of the nightly sound and light water shows at the Sharjah Fountain attracting huge crowds. With mini golf, splash and ride water parks and a mini train there is plenty to keep the family entertained and with many dining choices you’ll be spoilt with stunning water views from the plethora of restaurants and bars.
Things to do
- Al Hisn Fort is the only round wind tower in the UAE
- Explore the diverse art galleries and museums for Butterflies, Music and
- Take in the traditional architecture
- Grab a bite to eat at the many casual dining restaurants and cafes
- Walk, cycle or take a train ride through landscaped gardens
- Learn the ancient art form of Arabic calligraphy at the Centre for the Art of Arabic Calligraphy