Crete has been a centre for cultural excellence from earliest times owning to its proximity to Africa, Europe and Asia Minor where it received migrants 6000 BC. These Settlers were skilled in bronze crafting and built many of the large bronze figures and sculptures within the palaces of the times.
Crete, the largest of the Greek islands has long sandy beaches and is a dream destination for sun worshippers with popular seaside resorts across the island. The island’s landscape is hilly with remote villages pointing out to stunning views across the Aegean Sea.
Explore fertile valleys and steep gorges to see remnants of the histories of occupations by civilisations of times gone by. Across from Crete is the small islet of Spinalonga also known as “the island of tears,” is a sad place, where it served as a major leper colony for all who contracted the disease. Lepers from the mainland were sent into exile to Spinalonga until their deaths.
On the island there are the remnants of a village including a hospital as well as a dramatic fortress dating back to 1575 .
Things to do in Crete
- Take a boat trip to the island of tears and explore the islands hidden secrets
- Join a wine tour to a Cretan winery and sample Cretan wine and cheese
- Wander the National Park in Chania full of activities for the whole family
- Explore Chania’s old town and explore the Old Town adorned with Venetian mansions and fountains
- Rethymo for its legendary caves, historic monasteries and monuments
- Heraklion’s archaeological treasures with it’s vast valleys of olive groves and vineyards